John Barber is joint senior partner of the firm and has led the commercial property department since 1996, during which time the team has become the pre-eminent specialists in the restaurant sector.
John’s commercial property experience spans more than 30 years and covers all aspects of development work, investment acquisitions and disposals and office/retail/restaurant lettings, acting for landlords and for tenants.
John acts for some of the biggest household names in the restaurant sector as well as a number of the most exciting emerging concepts.
Other highlights of John’s career as a commercial property lawyer include:
- Negotiating the master building agreement and headlease for ExCeL London, after which John acted for the Exhibition Centre for more than 14 years until its takeover by the Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company in 2008.
- Negotiating the development agreement and lease leading to the occupation by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales of the state of the art recording and performance hall in Cardiff known as Hoddinott Hall.
- Acting for the developer of a retail park in Birmingham in respect of its acquisition/development/pre-let and sale.
- Acting for the developer of a major light industrial/warehousing scheme near Heathrow Airport, overseeing site assembly, development funding, development, letting and eventual sale to a major pension fund.
- Acting for the developer of a major regeneration project in Crayford involving the redevelopment of Crayford Town Centre with a mixture of private and social housing, retail space and a doctors’ surgery.